E-coat – an economical and corrosion resistant finish.
E Coat, EP Paint, Electropaint, Electrophoretic Paint - known by various names, has become established in recent years as an economical and corrosion resistant finish on its own or as a primer.
Predominantly used in the Automotive market for under bonnet and passenger compartment components. E-Coat is a Black Paint finish with a uniform thickness ranging from 15 microns up to 30 microns. The coating systems economical benefits mean that it has in recent times been adopted by varying industries as an undercoat or finish of choice where cosmetics are less critical than performance.
The application process is a complete submersion coating process. The system is similar to a zinc plating application in that it starts with degreasing and rinsing. The next stage of the process is to carry out phosphate conversion to enhance corrosion resistance. The coating material is applied to the components using an electrical current (Cathodic Electro Deposition) in the bath of coating material.
The final coating is an organic coating that is around 20um thick on average. It has excellent corrosion resistance and good chemical resistance. Unlike many of the coatings that we offer at Plastic Coatings Ltd, this material is not UV balanced and therefore is best suited to applications such as engine compartment, under body, interior bracketry, braking components etc etc.
- Black Paint thickness ranging from 15 microns up to 30 microns
- All over coating due to submersion process
- Excellent Corrosion Resistance, in excess of 1000 hours to ASTM B117
- Good as a primer to enhance performance of other coatings
- Fast Turnaround as process is 'always on'
- Prototype to production volume
Typical components are:
- Fuel Filler Tubes
- Car and Commercial vehicle Seats and Bracketry
- Brackets, Levers and operating parts
- Under bonnet components
- Seat Belt Anchors
- Tow Bar Plates
- Door Catches
- Striker Loops
- Speaker grilles